Tuesday, May 13, 2008

If All My Neighbors Were Potters...

I visited this wonderful potter's village in Manikgonj. When they found out that I was a potter they said that I do Hindu work. I have a confession to make. I like taking pictures of pots almost as much as I enjoy making pots. All of the families in this village are potters and they all have their own kiln etc. on their property. The pots below are all stacked up and ready for the kiln to be built around them.




Here is one of the potters loading up the pots to be fired.




Here, amazingly enough is a neighboring kiln that is fully loaded. The pots been enclosed in clay walls which form the outside of the kiln. The big hole is where the fire is built. The sari adds some great color to the picture and has nothing to do with pottery.




Here is my colleague, Bita, carrying several of the bowls we bought, to the van.




Last but not least, my favorite pot shot. I feel like I have to paint it. It is so rich with shadows and subtle color contrasts and not-so-subtle texture contrasts. It almost feels as if they have already started to bake in the light of the sun and I can feel the tension, knowing how fragile a bone dry piece of greenware is.


No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Color Marinade Blogs by Austin D. Miller is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.