Monday, September 15, 2008

Nepal: Sensory Stimuli

Nepal is majestic!. The macro views of the Himalayas is the most obvious majesty...but somehow the micro views of nature and culture took away my breath with an equal force. The following two images are of a flower at our guest house in Dhulikhel (Shiva Guest House). The latter one captures the beads of moisture better then the former.





There was a Hindu temple just down the hill from where we were. It was a genuine sanctuary of peace. It was an outdoor space with moss growing, water trickling, and patches of sunlight hitting the ground. It made me wish the Christian tradition would offer more spaces like this. It was man-made and yet the hand of God had taken over and transformed it into a place of rest and beauty. This image of decay in the middle of this sanctuary reminded me of the brevity of life and of the eternity of God.




As we were approaching our guest house Jensen thought we had arrived and ran up to these doors and opened them to see our abode. It happened to be the goat barn. The goats turned out to be a major attraction for the boys during our time there and they even named one of them "Shady".




The courtyard of our guest house was lush. This place, though a bit rustic, was a true breath of clean and beautiful air. It was so "other" that all of the colors seemed lusher. How easy it is when I live someplace, to stop seeing the "colors" around me. They are where I am, I am just forgetful and half blind half of the time.




This tree full of fruit was my most impacting first impression of this guest house. It made me think of the Garden . . . a bit haunting. I forget what the owner called the fruit. I do remember that they were not apricots (not everyone agreed).






Complementary reds and greens. Ahhhh! You just wait till they bloom . . .





Back at the Shiva Temple. I think this is a common sight in Hindu worship but I don't know what you call it. I think it is phallic symbol (any experts out there?) that an offering is poured over, draining out through the channel. I took the picture because I love the lines and shadows that are so geometric in contrast with the organic "stuff" growing all over it.




I took over 700 photos in Nepal so brace yourselves . . . this is only the beginning!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Color Marinade Blogs by Austin D. Miller is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.