Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nepal: Worship Artifacts

The bell and the red cloth remind me of Christmas and yet not . . . because Christmas decorations are brought out once a year and don't really have time to gain the beautiful wear and tear that these items have.





I had to take a picture of this hole in the stone because I did not understand it. There was this collection of tridents that someone picked one out of and then he closed his eyes and threw the trident towards the stone as if he were trying to hit the bulls eye. It all seemed very fairy tale to me. I wonder what would have happened if he had hit the mark . . . three wishes?






Is this Kali? She seems very plastic as if it was a bad photo, but bear with me and look at the flower. It really did look this unreal.





I totally washed out the sky but hey I got the prayer wheels all in a row at Namobuddah.





A prayer flag wrapped around bamboo at Namobuddah. I love how you can see the landscape through the flag. I also like the idea of writing prayers on cloth and letting them flap around in the breeze. A very visual reminder that God is always listening . . . and flags are just plain cool and fun, teasing the child within.





Here is one hefty prayer wheel. It was the only thing inside the building, taking up all of the space. I should have put a Coke bottle at the bottom for reference, but why ruin a picture when I can ask you to use your imagination?





Here is the collection of tridents. This picture is my personal favorite out of this batch. I simply love all of the contrasts. The soft cloth, the hard steel. The blues and the pinks and reds. The harsh vertical lines of the steel and the soft curving lines of the cloth. I'd better stop . . . it gets better every time I look at it


No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Color Marinade Blogs by Austin D. Miller is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.